Re: [NTLK] NTK: Cannot get Newton Toolkit 1.6.4 to run under classic.

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 13:30:19 PST

Edward Johnson wrote:
> Hello all. Trying to create maps to import into Newton for use with GPS
> MAP 2.1 (unrestricted). Cannot get Newton toolkit to start under
> classic. I Have a PB w/ OS 10.3.8. I get an error "Could not start the
> application because of some unknown error". I dropped the items
> required to go into the Classic System Folder and dropped the pref item
> into the classic system Pref folder. Yes I rebooted Classic. I also
> tried changing the extension set to to include the 9.2.2 complete
> extensions plus the extensions that came in the Newton Toolkit folder.

Ed,

NTK needs to detect a serial port before it will start. Yes, this sounds
silly, but back in 1996 every Mac had a serial port. If you don't have a USB
to serial adapter, you can install another extension that will emulate a
serial port that NTK will detect.

More info about this is in the FAQ:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-development.html#VIIA1a