Re: [NTLK] [OT] Future Apple PDA? poll.

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 08:13:53 PST

This was the promise of Bluetooth. It was created to
solve the distributed content on multiple devices. I
don't know about the rest of you, but I have names,
addresses, emails and phone numbers on no less than 5
devices! Phone, Newton, Work computer, home computer
and a main shared database on my home network.
Bluetooth was originally designed to allow these
devices to automatically update and even share data
between them, invisible to the user. I remember at the
Bluetooth launch in Atlanta many years ago, the proof
of concept was a cellphone would be able to grab the
phone number information in a PDA or laptop to make
calls. Unfortunatly, because of the very consortium
that started Bluetooth, it has gone nowhere. Quite the
opposite of what was originally intended. Ultimatly, I
would like to have the PDA as a convergence tool that
allows it to link up to distrbuted content regardless
of where it exists. It should be powerfull enough on
its own to replace a laptop for most purposes yet
still allow for portability and ease of use. Plus,
become a portal for other devices such as phones and
desktops.
In other words, you should be able to pick up your PDA
and access information no matter where it
resides...your media center PC at home, your Outlook
addressbook at work, or your phone list in your
cellphone. And all you should need to do is hit the
Assist icon and let the PDA get the info you need.
Ed
web/gadget guru