Re: [NTLK] [OT] Future Apple PDA/ideal Newton

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 12:07:22 PST

ADyson wrote:
> Tell me about it. I use Bell Mobility. Don't ask me why. I'm just stupidly loyal that way. They
> don't even support the Erricson blue tooth phone yet. I'll be happy carrying a separate phone and
> PDA as long as I can easily synchronize the two and has BlueTooth & Wi-Fi built-in. Maybe down the
> road the various providers will come up with an AirCard that supports voice that you could install
> in your PDA to convert it into a mobile phone. It will then be up to the provider to provide the
> connectivity to their network.

I don't think there will ever be such a card that supports voice and data, but
not because it isn't technically possible.

It wouldn't fly because cell service providers want to be able to control how
you get your data onto your mobile device. And they want to make it so that
the only way you can do so is over their wireless data network, so they can
charge you prices through the roof. This is the model that all carriers are
moving toward: they want device convergence but ALSO they want wireless data
to be the ONLY communications possibility for those devices.

PDAs, by design, let you get your data onto them through a variety of ways
(USB/FireWire, memory card, IrDA, Bluetooth). These all cost you $0. But if
you are reliant on the cell network... big data charges from your carrier.