Re: [NTLK] where is einstein going?

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 23:15:41 PST

I'm not Paul, but I'm sufficiently sleep-deprived to get up on a
soapbox:

First off, I've seen that newton3 picture around before, and I say that
I would not use a device that looked like that.

I do not want a built in keyboard, I do not want it to be a phone. A
slide to the side screen like that would let the unit be toppled or
canted at an angle if someone tried pressing on the digitizer with the
stylus at the top of the screen while open. Operating that thing in
landscape mode with the keyboard out makes no sense, worse still would
be operating it in 180 degree flip mode, where the keyboard (being with
the weightier brain of the machine) will want to slide closed on you,
and is also upside down! Not to mention the keys on that keyboard are
tiny.

Similarly the Verizon PocketPC monstrosity you linked to is just that,
a monstrosity. Once again its a phone, but the tiny buttoned keyboard
is permanently placed, can't be hidden - that and some phone specific
nav / function keys consume the vast majority of the available space
for the display. At least the newton3 mockup has the screen use the
majority of the surface on one side.

I could see a couple of navigation buttons ala Palm devices, I can see
focusing on mmc or cf slots for future expansion, but I will not accept
a tiny screen, or a chicklet keyboard as a platform worthy of running
the newton os upon. A usable successor should embody the useful design
aspects of the mp2x00 line: a large enough screen to be useful as a
pda, expansion, and minimal offscreen interface.

Tyler Nichols