Re: [NTLK] How can I open a Newton OMP

From: SbM (sbm_newtontalk_at_yahoo.fr)
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 12:22:51 PDT

Le 30 avr. 2005, =E0 22:37, Frank Gruendel a =E9crit :

>> I unscrewed the two long screws on the left
>> (OMP seen from behind) and the five short ones
>> in the battery compartment, but something along the=3D20
>> right-hand edge prevents me from opening the case.
>
> There's one more screw at the top (where the card
> slot is) that you can't see because it is covered by
> a tiny round black sticker.

Thanks Frank!

I found the same info on this webpage:=20
http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/newton/MP100Power.html, and finally=20
managed to open my OMP.

There is indeed a hidden screw next to the PCMCIA slot. After I had it=20=

removed, I used a card (credit card-type) to separate the two halves of=20=

the case. No need to remove the half-hidden screw behind the PCMCIA=20
eject button, by the way, which is very good news!

I scanned the mother-board and proceeded to separate it from the case=20
by removing all the little screws. I found that you had to pull real=20
hard on the small clip on the right to get the motherboard out, but=20
when it's done you can turn it over and disconnect the ribbon (contrary=20=

to what the guy says on the above-mentionned page). So I scanned the=20
other side as well, and reassembled the unit without any problem.

Why I did it? Well first of all I wanted to scan the motherboard for my=20=

web-site (still under construction), and also my unit has a faulty=20
PCMCIA slot so I wanted to investigate a bit (but I'm crap at=20
electronics so obviously I couldn't find anything wrong... duh!). Nice=20=

experience, though.

--=20
SbM
Newton MessagePad OMP, 120 FR, 130, 2000 & 2100
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/sbm/