Re: [NTLK] Jaggies follow up - plus a hypothetical...

From: karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 05:23:44 PDT

Moe wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Psion's have historically been known as rock-solid and productive
> little machines. I certainly wouldn't be ashamed to use one. I'm
> pretty sure the platform is now discontinued like wtih the Newton, but
> just like us, there's bound to be support sites, archives, and
> listservs. One of my friends had a 3 series which proved to work
> well, but it was a bit boring for my tastes. The 5, I believe, is a
> much better and more interesting/capable machine.

The series 5 (mx) is, however, very susceptible to its own version of
jaggies. I have one that does a Parkinson everytime I try to sketch
something.

Obviously, being a primarily keyboard-driven portable computer, those
jaggies are not as debilitating as on a Newton.

The last entry to the Series 3 line, the 3mx, is a very capable albeit
basic, portable computer. It has a _much_ better screen than the
Series 5/5mx, which can be unreadable under certain conditions (and
no, the backlight doesn't really help much). The biggest problem with
the Series 3 is/was Psion's choice of its own (proprietary and clumsy)
memory discs. If going for a Series 5, don't be tempted by an original
5, always choose the 5mx.

Karel Jansens
(now testdriving a Sony Ericsson P910i, and sofar seriously liking it)