Re: [NTLK] Losing the date and Mic (now Powerbooks)

From: John (macnut_at_frys.com)
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 23:19:36 PDT

Andrew Fox wrote:
> Hi Sonny,
> If you paid more than $150 then they saw you coming<g>.
>
> If you paid somewhere between $120-$150 then thats market price
> territory.
>
> If it was less than $120 then you got a bargain sir<g>.
>
> Does it work okay?
>
> regards
> Andrew
>
> On 7/05/2005, at 4:00 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>

>>Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 13:04:07 -0400
>>From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
>>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Losing the date and Mic
>>
>>Gosh Matt,
>>
>>You beat me to that... I'd had to run out and pick up a PowerBook just
>>now... not sure what it's worth but I just got one (Wallstreet -
>>14.1/233MHz-512/160MB/2GB HD/4MB Video/CD/Modem with a good
>>battery/Dummy Battery and Original A/C adapter?)
>>Anyone have a clue what I should have paid for it..???

I wouldn't exactly say that. I've seen good working Wallstreets going
for up to $200 on the Swap list. Occasionally more. Pismos and Lombards
usually bring $300 to $400 yet. Older G3 Powerbooks are still quite
usable machines, although as each new iteration of OS X comes out, Apple
is trying to leave the older models behind. With the Wallstreet it was
Panther not supported (no built-in USB). But with XPostFacto you can
install Panther anyway. And now with Tiger requiring built-in Firewire,
that leaves out the Lombard, altho someone on the G-Books list installed
Tiger on an external Firewire hard drive, then removed the drive (2.5")
from the case and installed it in his Lombard. He says it works fine, so
I'm sure a new version of XPostFacto (or a simple hack)will be available
soon to make the Firewire requirement a non-issue issue. (Kinda like the
10.1 "upgrade" disc that was actually a full install with the use of a
simple hack.)

JR

--
This sig contains no political, religious, or commercial content whatsoever.