Re: [NTLK] [OT] Tiger Widgets (was: Einstein Widget for Tiger? (split of thread)

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 02:58:54 PDT

> Nah, I wasn't trying to say it was a stupid idea. I guess I am ...
> hesitant about widgets. They seem to be the new craptacular
> shareware. Everyone makes about 40 of them and about 5 are useful.
> There is a spell checker widget ya know? You can cut and paste text
> into it to spell check it.
>
> I guess its that sort of thing that makes no sense to me. There is
> now a global dictionary and thesaurus, both of which are accessible
> via keyboard cmds, widgets, and an application. Spell checking is a
> system wide service. Yet someone thought - hey we really need a
> widget for that.
>
> Thats all, not blasting it, just thinking, toss an alias in my dock
> or make a widget?

Plus the fact that they all take up memory and maybe a (very small)
bit of CPU time.. Hopefully by 10.4.5, they'll have figured out a
way to have them completely unload as processes (or just freeze with
SIG_STOP) until you actually start them up.. This might take some
doing with things like the Clock, which continually updates..

(Of course, we all *know* that VM and the dynamic pager is
*WONDERFUL*.. until your disk is chittering all the time because you
don't have enough *real* memory.. [REALLY-OT] Wondering if it'd be
possible for Darwin to optimize it's disk access the same way RAID
arrays do, to minimize head-movement, in the queueing of requests for
different sectors of the disk?)

Jim