[NTLK] Bluetooth and GPRS and Motorola phones

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 12:02:07 PDT

Hi again,

I am still attempting to get a reliable GPRS via bluetooth setup from
my Newton.

I emailed Eckhart and bugged him about the fact that I couldn't ever
get my Sony/Ericsson phones to work right because of problems with NIE
insisting on sending TCP echo packets, which the S/E phones seem to
hate.

He assured me that a Nokia bluetooth phone would solve this for me (for
the record).

Unfortunately for me, the cell phone in question is my wife's, and she
has something against Nokia, as she previously lost all her address
book data from one, somehow, (don't ask).

I found the somewhat spiffy and very reasonable Motorola V550
(vodaphone model) on ebay with extras for about $100.00. This phone
seems to meet my requirements and my wifes as it is unlocked (any GSM
network), and quad band (world phone), has Bluetooth and is a flip
phone (she likes this).

So, the phone works great, and from the Powerbook G4 I can see that
it works well via BT as a wireless modem. I left the echo packets on
in OSX and it stayed connected and functional for over 1/2 an hour
(very good sign).

 From the Newton however, blunt can discover and configure and pair (oh
my) and all goes well, BUT when I go to connect to the interenet via
GPRS, somehow the phone doesn't remember the previous pairing and
tries to re-pair with newton. Unfortunately the Newton isn't looking
to pair at that time.

This is almost identical to the behavior I saw with the t610, except on
that phone I could trick the phone by re-entering the previous pairing
key. This doesn't work on the Moto.

Thanks for any help/ideas regarding this.
Marty