Re: [NTLK] OT: Apple AC Adapter Class Action

From: David Golden (ikondave_at_charter.net)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 14:55:58 PDT

On May 24, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On May 24, 2005, at 10:12 AM, David Golden wrote:
>
>> However, if you didn't get one of these letters, you may very well be
>> out of luck.
> This is not true at all. The class action is open to anyone who
> purchased or exchanged for one of the defective yoyo style adapters.

Actually, it's quite true. If you are on the mailing list it means that
Apple, et al are already aware that you are likely qualified. I was a
party in one of those actions involving certain brokerage firms. If you
received an initial mailing, that meant that one was likely a person
with a claim. I didn't mean to imply that you definitely weren't going
to be qualified, but that one might have a harder row to hoe.

>> Did you register your PowerBook with Apple? Even if you
>> purchased it second hand, in a private sale, registering it with Apple
>> would have been a good idea.

> This is also meaningless. Registering with Apple has absolutely no
> bearing on your ability to join the class...
>
> http://www.apple-power-adapter-complaints.com/

Telling people that registering your Apple products is " meaningless
" is just plain irresponsible. It is advisable on a number of fronts.
Furthermore, I didn't write that registration had any impact on
eligibility. It simply makes it easier for Apple to find you and
therefore increases the liklihood that you will be included in any
relevant mailings and will therefor be more quickly informed. Since
these sort of settlement frequently have a window of eligability, it's
useful to receive such notifications propmptly. That's common sense.

You know Marty, it's possible to disagree with someone and still
maintain a modicum of courtesy. It's also useful to read what others
write a bit more carefully before you feel entitled to post such rude

> Marty

Dave