Re: [NTLK] OT Value of Apple Portable Bag

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 11:27:12 PDT

You may want to think twice about making a claim
against your insurance if you can afford it. I don't
know how insurance claims work in your country, but in
the USA, there is a clearing house for all sorts of
information, including Insurance claims. This company
is called ChoicePoint. They maintain a 5+ year history
of all insurance claims you make either as an
individual or as a place of residence, including
health insurance claims. (vehicle claims are listed on
the personal history)
What insurance companies do with this information is
to deny you insurance if you make too many claims
within a predescribed period of time, which is
different for each insurance company.
And here is the kicker...If you live in a residence
that has had a claim that the home owner registered
(if you're a boarder or sharing or something) and then
you get your own house, those claims that were on the
house you were staying at are now going to follow you
to any other residence you may live in. Some insurance
companies do not take into account that these were not
your claims, but instead will increase your rates
because they perceive you as a high risk. Even though
it was not your claim...
And to make this even more insidious, let's say you go
to purchase a home and the previous home owner
registered several claims against hail damage. Now you
go to closing only to find that your insurance company
won't insure the home due to excessive previous claims
against the home! (they define the term "excessive")
And there is nothing you can do...nothing...you are
screwed! You have to go out and get high-risk
insurance which is usually 3-4 times the cost of
regular insurance, even though, you never were the
claimant!
So, this is for everyone here...think twice when you
make an insurance claim....it may just be your last!
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Sebastian Adorján Dyhr <sadyhr_at_stofanet.dk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Maybe this is not quite the right forum, but I don't
> know where else to=20=
>
> ask.
>
> As mentioned before: For a week ago some stupid
> burglar broke in and=20
> stole to PB G3, a Newton 2000 an eMate some juwelery
> and - that's why=20
> I'm posting here - a bag for an Apple Portable.
>
> It's almost like an normal bag for a PowerBook, but
> it's quite large,=20
> and of course a collectors item.
>
> I have to tell my insurrance company the value I
> have to pay to get a=20
> replacement. Would anybody on the list try to give
> my a estimate price=20=
>
> for such a thing?
>
> /Thanx in advance, Sebatsian
>
> --=20
> Sebastian Adorj=E1n Dyhr
> http://home6.inet.tele.dk/sadyhr
> Jettesvej 3, 2. th AIM:
> sebidk
> DK-8220 Brabrand Y!: sadyhr
> Tlf. 86 25 10 50 msn:=20
> s_adorjan_dyhr_at_hotmail.com=

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial