Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 09:39:25 PST

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 11:09:49AM -0800, Sonya Hipper wrote:
> Brian (et al),
>
> OK...then how would the Mac or PC know that there's gonna be a
> "serial" signal coming in over the USB? Wouldn't you have to write
> some sort of software to create the virtual serial port that the
> existing Newt apps (NCU, NewTen, Escale, etc.) would recognize as
> something they can use, kind of like the Keyspan software does? Or
> are you maybe thinking to try to make the USB-001 compatible with the
> Keyspan software so as to not have to re-invent the wheel, so to speak?

Can't really be done.

USB gizmos have a code that's part of the standard: A Vendor ID and a
Product ID, that's kind of like the classic Mac Creator and Type file
codes. The combination of those is used to determine what drivers to
use, and (theoretically) whether drivers are already loaded, etc. And,
while an application can "just create stuff with the right codes", a USB
device only gets one of those device pairs, and *I think* they're set by
the chipset selected. So unless someone's cannibalizing an actual
Keyspan adaptor for doing this, the OS will refuse to use the Keyspan
drivers.

--
I once successfully declined a departmental retreat, saying that on
that day I planned instead to advance.