Re: [NTLK] I am my own grandpa (sysadmin?)

From: Norman Palardy (npalardy_at_great-white-software.com)
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 16:24:02 PST

On Nov 02, 2005, at 4:10 PM, Ed Kummel wrote:

> At UUNET I found that when I was issued my first
> machine, it was restricted to poweruser only. I could
> do most things, but I could not edit the registry or
> modify the local user permissions.
> After I did some investigations, I noticed one place
> where the IT department didn't think of checking...I
> was able to create a user and put that user in the
> administrators group. Once I created my admin user, I
> then gave the user the IT department gave me admin
> privs and all was fine (I created several other admin
> users just incase they found out about my scheme)

We had admin rights and they then took them all away because "us
engineering folks were just too unruly" when it came o what we did with
our machines

So we made IT set up EVERYTHING (despite the fact that most of us in
engineering were actual ex-IT people and we could have easily done
this)

We made them set up triple and quad headed NT boxes, our laptops
(running the Corporate certified NT 4 install) with dual monitors, etc.

All kinds of odd set ups and special stuff and we drove them crazy with
these sorts of things.

They never did give us admin privileges again though so we just kept
them hopping getting all our strange stuff set up

In the mean time I used my Macs to get work done and the NT based
desktops and laptops to read the corporate email and not a heck of a
lot else as they were rarely on my desk (getting reconfigured) or
working properly