Re: [NTLK] odd carriage returns and "="

From: John (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 05:48:55 PST

I was able to find the Ecartis link on the NewtonTalk.net main page and
which describes Ecartis as:

 "Ecartis is "an open-source (GNU License) software package that
administers mailing lists <----snipped---->"

The Ecartis main page goes on to say that there are:
____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
"Multiple Buffer Overflows:
 The product contains multiple buffer overflows. These have been fixed
by the provided (unofficial) patch:
 diff -ru ecartis-1.0.0-old/src/smtp.c ecartis-1.0.0/src/smtp.c
 <----snipped---->return 1;" ____ ____ ____ ____ ____

 ....... don't have the faintest idea in the world what all that means
or its relevance and/or any significance to the problem which would
appear to be ongoing on the NewtonTalk List here such as "=3F=A92005-
=20==92=92t--=20=3F=A9 <----snipped---->" problems.

If anyone can interpret this it may be of great help to fixing it and
doing whatever needs to be done and then getting it done.

I FOR ONE WOULD BE PLEASED AS PINK to pay annual dues to handle whatever
the funding requirements might be to handle the "=3F=A92005-=2" problems
and any others that may crop up as needed once and for all.

Please just let us know how much and where to send the loot.
I'm sure those who are able will, and those who may not have enough to
spare at the moment will benefit as well. I certainly realize that it
takes a significant amount of volunteer time, and other resources to
have established this wonderfully valuable List, to manage it, and to
keep it running, so I AM NOT BEING CRITICAL OR JUDGMENTAL whatsoever,
please do not take this suggestion the wrong way. Just the contrary, it
is greatly appreciated on every level that we have such dedicated
selfless individuals who no doubt have been doing and continue to do
above and beyond the call of duty for everyone's benefit.

How much?
Where do I send the loot?
If the manpower is not sufficient then let's hire or outsource this
fundamental need if possible, whatever it costs will be less than the
unneeded toll it's taking.

Any ideas, suggestions, help would be much appreciated. What can "I" do
and others to get this fixed, does anyone know?

Been up since 3AM just trying to get my neck above water and will be out
on obligations all day today and perhaps tomorrow, so don't mean to be
abrupt, please take what I say in a positive light. Thank you.

TIA, John

11/8/05 Martin Joseph issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?