Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 09:24:33 PST

On 09/11/05 12:12, "Martin Joseph" <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 9, 2005, at 5:42 AM, Jon Scordia wrote:
>> <snip>or try to buy one of the last dual 1.2 or 1.4 'Mirror Double
>> Door' G4s. As I understand it the last and fastest of the native OS 9
>> machines.
>> <snip>
>
> I recommend getting a quicksilver model instead.
>
> 1) Some MDD models do NOT boot OS9.
> 2) I like the quicksilver case "look" better.
> 3) Some of the MDD models are very LOUD.

I was kinda facing the same question a few weeks ago, as I wanted to replace
my Blue & White G3. When I looked at the spec for the Quicksilver (733MHz),
I was shocked to realize that the PowerMac G4 "Digital Audio" (733MHz) had
much better performance than the Quicksilver at the same speed. I further
compared the specs and I think it is because the Digital Audio machine has a
1MB Level 3 cache while the Quicksilver doesn't have it. As a result,
Digital Audios seem to fetch a little more money on eBay. I think I was
lucky that I got one for $300 with 512MB of RAM and a 40GB hard drive. I
took memory from my B&W and now have 1GB of RAM plus a 160GB and a 40GB hard
drives in it. Other than the case and the level 3 processor cache, they are
both pretty similar in specifications...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA