Re: [NTLK] OT - I need an old 5 1/4" floppy drive to recover old PC data -- Any ideas?

From: Paul Curtis (MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 15:38:47 PST

Matt,

Does East Lansing count?

Best Regards,

Paul Curtis
Certified Mortgage Planner
Allied Home Mortgage

(517) 775-6666 Cell (Voice Mail)
(517) 579-0849 Home Facsimile
(517) 327-4200 Office
(517) 327-4300 Office Facsimile
www.BBCGroupMI.net Advanced Online Application
www.HomeSweetHomeLoan.com Online Application

-----Original Message-----
From: newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net
[mailto:newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net] On Behalf Of mkow1234_at_aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 5:58 PM
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
Subject: [NTLK] OT - I need an old 5 1/4" floppy drive to recover old PC
data -- Any ideas?

After taking apart my desktop Windows 98 PC, disconnecting and reconnecting
cables a billion times, and reboot after reboot, I still can not get the
5.25" floppy drive to work correctly!!! It lights up, the deiskettes spin,
but that's about it. I suspect that my PC can't read the data because the
diskettes originated in the Reagan years. Seriously, I tried using a DOS
terminal thingie, and I still could not even read a directory of files on
any of several 5.25" diskettes that I tried. This bites.

I am seeking somebody in southeastern Michigan that can loan me a PC with
BOTH a 3.5" and a 5.25" floppy drive, so that I can at least get the data on
to some format that can be read by my laptop or my desktop (Once I put it
back together and reconnect stuff). Thanks again.

Matt K.

Official Newton FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/ WikiWikiNewt for all
kinds of articles: http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/