Re: [NTLK] OT - I need an old 5 1/4" floppy drive to recover old PC data -- Any ideas

From: Goodwin, Greg P. (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 06:34:39 PST

        What kind of floppies are these again? PC Format?

       Trying to think of the last time I hooked up a 5 1/4 floppy on a =
IBM Pc format computer, but then it has been a while since I have owned =
a IBM PC type computer (Dos/windows, whatever...)

       But from what I do know is this...

       Depending on your make of a motherboard, you will be able to hold =
down a key at startup. This might be designated as "Hold down =
(whatever) key for setup." That is the setup for the bios.
       Some are like f2, others are control and something. Really =
depends on the computer.
       Strangely, I have not encountered such boot setups on any other =
platform. Except the Amiga kinda.

       Anyway, once in the setup, you can go in and select what drives =
are active and in what order you want the computer to see what drive. =
So for example, it will see that drive A is the floppy. You can usually =
turn it on or off, and even make it the drive the computer first looks =
at when starting up. (Have it look at the floppy, then hard drive, =
etc).

       Naturally all you are trying to do is make sure the computer sees =
the floppy drive at all, and probably do not want it as the first device =
your computer sees. Just mentioning that is one of the things you can =
do.

       If a dos machine, you will either go into File manager (if a Win =
3.1 machine or win 95) or "My Computer" if in later Win OS's. Look in =
the A or B drive, whatever that floppy drive is being identified as. =
Probably B now that I think about it since A is usually what the 3 1/2" =
drive is usually called.

       Bottom line, those are the basics, and this will differ depending =
on the hardware.

 |||=20
 )|( Greg
/ | \ =20