Re: [NTLK] OT - I need an old 5 1/4" floppy drive to recover old PC data -- Any ideas

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 06:58:44 PST

On 11/15/05, MKow1234_at_aol.com <MKow1234_at_aol.com> wrote:
> I still can't get anything off of the 5.25" floppy drive.
>
> The advice about checking BIOS settings is appreciated, but without detai=
ls
> on how to proceed in doing so, it's next to useless. How about providing=
 a bit
> more insight? Thanks in advance.
Matt,

Generally a PC will boot-up with a black screen, sometime before
Windows or DOS starts up it will offer you a MSG about getting into
the setup... I recall the general key used would be the DEL key....

(Unless it is setup not to offer this option then you need to just try
pressing the DEL) I don't recall what other key it could be but it
would also depend on the make of the PC or the BIOS brand... I think
if it's an IBM it's the DEL or the F10 key...

When you get into the BIOS setup you will need to pan through the
menus - there should be something referencing the Floppy (sometime
this is nested in a menu of items [generic] about the BIOS options)
there you will be able to select the size and density of the Floppy -
this is all archaic info from the deep recesses of my Help Desk
Support Days when I actually earned a decent salary... ;)

HTH!

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung