Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: Irfon-Kim Ahmad (irfon_at_ambienautica.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 10:34:05 PST

For the record, in case anybody's collecting e-mail addresses of
interested parties and consiering shouldering the project, I would
definitely pay $12 without a moment's thought for an OSX-native
application that duplicated the functionality of NCU. I would probably
pay $30 USD. $35 USD would be about at the upper limit, and I'd
probably wait and hem and haw for a while but eventually pay it.

The key functionality that the current applications are lacking that I
am interested in is the ability to easily sync NewtWorks documents. I
have an eMate that I don't really use for its PIM functions at all; I
mostly just use it to write. The total features that I would need would
be package installation, backup, restore and NewtWorks sync.

On the other hand, if someone made a tool that just synced NewtWorks
documents and did nothing else at all, that was OSX native, I would
probably pay for that too. I might pay less, but I could see paying $15
USD easily for such an app and being happy with that price.

Perhaps a tiered pricing scheme would be possible? I wouldn't mind
paying, for example, $5 per module for a bunch of modules -- backup and
restore, package management, newtworks sync, iCal/AddressBook sync,
Mail.app sync, etc. I probably wouldn't pay $5 for a "use your Mac
keyboard to type on the Newt" module, but I've seen other people mention
that. Presumably the software would be the full product but there could
be license codes for each feature? Or would that be getting to a
complexity level where the development of the licensing scheme would be
more work than the software itself or the added value was worth?