Re: [NTLK] OT - I need an old 5 1/4" floppy drive to recover old PC data -- Any ideas?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 08:32:36 PST

mkow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> Hello Paul,
>

> I grabbed another drive from the PC shop, but I'm still having trouble. This drive is a combination of both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives integrated together. However, every time I boot up my machine, it warms up, then restarts again! The only way the machine stays up and running is if I hit the F5 key. Of course, then it's in safe mode, and I can't check or add additional hardware!
> I did get the drive to partially work, but only the 3.5" drive seems to be recognized by my PC.
>

> I can't figure out what, if anything, I am doing wrong. I know I had to disconnect one of the CD-Rom drives so I could use the power connector for the floppy and so forth, but that should not make my machine act funny, should it? I may need to use your machine if this continues. Argh. My head hurts now.
>

> Matt K.

Matt,
I am getting in a little late on this conversation, but if you didn't
get into the setup yet it can be any of the following keys, ESC, F1,
Delete, and sometimes F10. You need to set the 5.25 disk as one of the
floppy drives and which letter (a or b). If it is the only floppy on
the system, then A, if you have a 3.5 drive then make the 5.25 drive B.

In the case of the combo drive, I have heard of them but have used one
personally. I suspect they *may* require a special driver to be
installed. Seems doubtful though if it is just two drives together.

As for the boot up problem, disconnect the CD-Rom drive. Just having it
connected can cause problems if it is not powered depending on the
system. If it still don't boot, then I suspect it is the combo drive
and needs a custom driver to work. Check your BIOS settings though and
make sure you have both 3.5 and 5.25 enabled. If just one is with a
combo drive, might cause problems.

-Dan