Re: [NTLK] Expense Plus (printing)

From: Sushi (sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 16:18:42 PST

Reference printers and printing with the Newton, I wanted to share this
with the list.

I was using a Laserwriter 360 printer but it finally started to go bad
and I just didn't want to try to fix it again. It served me well for
many years but it was finally time to upgrade.

What to get?

I wanted to be able to print from all my devices without any hassle.
My LaserWriter 360 was connected to a PowerMac Desktop (G3) which I
used as my print server via Localtalk/Laserwriter Bridge software. It
worked okay. However, there always seemed to be issues -- especially
when powering things up.

I decided on a Brother 5170DN printer. It has built in networking and
is very easy to set up. Cost was under $300.

With it I can print from:

- Windows XP
- Mac OS X
- Mac Classic running under Mac OS X
- Mac OS 9
- Newton 2100 (Via Ethernet card)

I was really surprised about the Newton being able to print. Brother
includes one install CD with Windows and Mac drivers on it.
Installation is a snap for the Mac and Windows. Once I had things up
and running, I decided to try printing with my Newton 2100. No
drivers. Oh Oh. But when I told the Newton to look at the network for
a printer, it found the Brother. I selected the printer and was able
to print to it.

My backup plan was to keep my StyleWriter I printer for my Newton
printing needs. But since the Brother is working so well, my
StyleWriter I has been tossed out.

Now I just laugh at how easy it is to print from all my computers vice
how I had to do it before. No more working to print! I feel free!
:-)

So for those in a mixed environment who are looking for a simple
networkable printer that all your devices. including the Newton. can
print to you might want to take a look at the Brother 5170DN because it
works.

Sushi