Re: [NTLK] .Mac SMTP account and SimpleMail Error

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 00:34:28 PST

Le 26 nov. 05 =E0 02:36, Joseph Solin a =E9crit :

> I thought port 465 was used for secure SMTP not 587?

Indeed.

587 is submission port. It's a regular SMTP connection, usually =20
limited to outgoing mail, but the client and the server can negotiate =20=

to continue with an encrypted transaction. The first two exchanges =20
are not encrypted (basically they are: hello, hello, I'm able to do =20
this and that and that including encryption, ok let's encrypt).

465 is smtps, i.e. a regular SMTP dialog over an encrypted channel.

Both can be considered as secure. The difference is that a dialog on =20
port 587 can be unencrypted if the client doesn't require an =20
encrypted dialog or if the server doesn't support it. Typically, the =20
Newton won't request a secure transaction since it cannot handle it.

Paul
--=20
Ministre ultrapl=E9nipotentiaire en disponibilit=E9.
Mobile. Sans baignoire fixe.
http://www.kallisys.com/
http://www-poleia.lip6.fr/~guyot/