Re: [NTLK] reusing the battery pack

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 12:25:56 PDT

> I believe that the original post was about the current
> controller, that is soldered between the two end cells.
> It is metal with a piece of yellow tape on it. It
> reduces the voltage if the temp gets too high, sort of a
> backup safety system.
> Folks who convert the battery sled to a rechargeable pack
> usually (always) leave this out. This could be a problem
> but I haven't heard of any.

Folks who travel by plane hardly ever need their
live vest. And still these vests are right beneath every seat.
Myself, I've never had any need for my car's safety belt.
And still I'm using it whenever I am driving. Some things
are there for a reason: If what shouldn't happen happens.

Why not try the following:

1) Take a battery pack newly rebuilt by yours truly

2) Take another battery pack NOT rebuilt by yours
   truly and make sure the polyswitch has been left out.

3) Charge both packs

4) Short both packs out. This shouldn't, but can happen.

5) Wait a couple of seconds and see how things develop.

Come to think of it, better call the fire brigade between
steps 3 and 4.

This stupid component costs less than half a buck.
A decent coffin costs (well, at least in Germany)
roundabout three thousand times as much.

I'll never comprehend how people can even think of leaving
it out. Then again, I am someone who ALWAYS wears his safety
belt (while driving)...

Frank