Re: [NTLK] Converge

From: Morgan Aldridge (makkintosshu_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 10:48:37 PDT

I agree completely!
This spring, when I was looking to replace my cell phone and possibly
try a PDA again, I came down to two choices: a Palm Treo or a Newton
and a BlueTooth cell phone. Same overall cost (starting from scratch)
to get everything I needed. I new I could get software for both,
including those to do my multiple to-do lists, my calendar, e-mail,
and financial software. I also knew that syncing with Mac OS X was
going to be easier with the Palm, but that with a good PDA I should
only really need the synchronization as a good backup.

I went with the Newton for two reasons: the community and the
expandability.

The Treo is great (I've had Palms before, so I'm fine with Grafiti if
I have to use it), but it's current user base are people who, like
many in my generation, are constantly buying new gadgets and
discarding or selling the old because they're caught in a vicious
cycle looking for that perfect device that'll do everything they want
in one tiny package. You all can pat yourselves on the back for being
able to see past that (in one way or another).

Second, was expandability. Sure, the Treo's got an SD card slot, I
can put WiFi in it, but the cell phone built in... I've only been
using cell phones for three years now (I finally gave in when it
became cheaper than a land-line and I was never staying put) and I've
been through just as many phones. Not because I needed the latest and
greatest, or because I could get one free with a new plan, but
because the communication standards changed. The Newton, however, was
designed for change because Apple had no idea what was coming. Where
would we be if the pager cards had been built into the Newton?
Unfortunately, those with Marcos and such have found out how that goes.

Of course, the third reason I didn't even list because I think we all
agree that the Newton OS is a big advantage. And, as many flaws as it
may have that developers have to work around, atleast the code base
isn't constantly changing on us as well.

Sorry for rehashing this, again, in all it's redundancy. ;)

Morgan Aldridge

P.S. If GSM networks were actually available in my area, there would
be a Motorola RAZR sitting next to my Newton instead of the Motorola
V710, but atleast I won't have to trade in my Newton when I get my
next phone.

--
morgant_at_makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/