Re: [NTLK] eMate Battery dead after RAM upgrade

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 10:46:26 PDT

> Based on your suggestion, I've tryed to disconenct
> it and reconnect (there's only a way of doing so)
> but same result. So I tryed it on the second eMate,
> and same result.

For a start, I'd suggest you install NewtTest (available
in the software section of the site in the signature)
and let us know what the battery subtest reports when

1) The eMate is powered by the AC adapter and the battery
is removed

2) The Newton is powered by the AC adapter and the battery
is installed

3) (if you get that far) the Newton is powered by the battery
and the AC adapter is not plugged in at all.

Before you do any of this, remove the RAM upgrade board. The
eMate will take longer to boot the next time since it will
do a brainwipe when it senses that the board was removed. If
there's any data on the eMate that you'd like to keep, make
sure to make a backup first.

If you have a card in the card slot, remove it before doing
the tests outlined above.

> The only other explanation I can see is that I broke
> something on the MLB of BOTH eMate while reparing the hinge...

Nothing is impossible, but I'd consider this extremely
unlikely.

Frank