Re: [NTLK] Change "date sent" tag in SimpleMail?

From: Michael C. Wittmann (mwittmann_at_maine.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 10:52:17 PDT

I am laughing at the way this story is developing...

> B) you would have learned that if your mail system is mbox
> formatted you
> could just go in and edit the dates on the individual messages
> themselves and acheved the desired effect.

You see, I have known that I can simply edit my mbox formatted email.
At the moment, it's "emlx" mail, meaning individual messages with
Apple's weird new .four ending. Whatever. Point is, I can open the
email and edit the headers.

Problem is, this gets me nowhere. Apple's Mail.app is getting its
"date sent" and "date received" information from some other location,
or is storing it in another location.

> you can copy your mailbox and play with this format if you choose.
> I've
> done the same with some mail when I moved from eudora to thunderbird
> (because I wanted my mail on a server available from any platform I
> booted)

How did you do that? What did you tweak? I suspect that thunderbird
might have a more transparent system (you know, using the HEADER to
give the information, not some weird attached xml information). I
don't use html mail myself, but the FirstClass system we have here on
campus forces it on me - sigh. Still, I can delete it with no major
problem. I have yet to figure out which headers to change. Once I
have that, I write a script, I'm set! Thanks for all the help you've
been giving.

(And to Frank, who is possibly following this as well as the thread
related to his suggestion of scripting on the Newton, I suspect that
doing this work on my desktop will be easier than doing it on the
Newton - what do you think?)

Michael