Re: [NTLK] Interest List: USB-001

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 02:03:19 PST

Joe,

i completely agree with you:
NewtonOS was made to work over serial communications,
and the best hardware enhancements we could expect to see
should be built over serial.

USB-001 would be very useful if a driver for usb peripherals
and usb mass storage devices could be written.

SER-001 was/is the best solution for various reasons:
Apart from the interconnect port fragility, SER-001 gives us the
chance to have
a direct connection to a quantity of serial devices without the need
of any adapter.
Such capability made it one of the best Newton add-ons ever made.

I think that the best next step over SER-001 would be made over
wireless.

A serial to bluetooth add-on actually can be built at cheap cost.

Then as for today everything is made to work over bluetooth:
mobiles, ir scanners, printers, cameras other than any desktop/laptop.

Note that bluetooh drivers for OS9 already exist, but they are hidden
in Classic....
[when booting on OS9 the Apple wireless (bluetoooth) mouse works
right out of the box]

Adriano