Re: [NTLK] Tablet PC Newton

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 05:20:52 PDT

bill bennett wrote:
> I've just been looking at some of the new Tablet PCs.
> One new Fujitsu model is particularly cute and nifty.
> It got me to wonder, what's the potential for modding
> one of these to look and feel more like a Newton?
>
> I've already managed to emulate a green screen.

Here are a few links of interest. I've installed these on my Fujitsu
Stylistic 3400 (a *really* old tablet pc running Windows 2000). It's no
Newton by a long shot, but it comes a long way.

http://www.phatware.com/penoffice/index.html

(this is basically the same ParaGraph HWR software that runs in Newtons,
the cursive one, not Rosetta)

http://www.evernote.com/en/

(a very nice notetaking program, again reminiscing on Newton days of
yore. You have the choice between a nice free version and a kick-ass
commercial one)

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

(it's simply the best free painting program for a tablet pc one could
dream up).

Of course, using the Stylistic 3400, one quickly realizes that it is no
Newton by far. Mainly when the battery dies after nearly over an hour's
worth surfing...

Karel Jansens