Re: [NTLK] TimeTrax License & dead Newtons...

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 04:14:12 PDT

Frank,

Makes sense.
And much appreciate the offer to help me out on swapping the chip if
needed. I would of course compensate you for the work as you please.
Would it be possible to post instructions and photos of what you speak
of, i.e., the integrated circuit thing? I'm really handy and love doing
stuff like this.
I ALWAYS pay for any software I use as I understand the work that went
into developing it and the author is clearly entitled to be compensated
for their sacrifices. It's peeves me to no end when a colleague asks me
"Do you have such in such program I can __borrow__?" knowing full well
all they want to do is get a copy for their own use FOR FREE! It's
reprehensible. I just reply "no, sorry I don't have that", or in the
case of Adobe's apps, I explain that Adobe has the "hidden" security
check embedded in the app which sends user information back to corporate
over the Internet. It's been there for years. After they started using
it they reversed their position to originally prosecute people running
unlicensed copies for PR reasons, but the scheme still is embedded in
all their apps to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure if you Google
around you'll find background on all this.

A million thanks again for your help on my registration questions.

I'll never get over what an amazing piece of engineering the Newton
was .....is <G>

John Hay
Ocean City, NJ

9/19/05 Frank Gruendel issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?