[NTLK] BT-001: Internal Bluetooth Card for MP2x00

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 02:01:48 PDT

Subject: [NTLK] BT-001: Internal Bluetooth Card for MP2x00
From: Jake Bordens <newton () allaboutjake ! com>
Date: 2005-09-20 23:37:40

> Well folks. I just got it working, and I wanted to share:
>
> http://www.allaboutjake.com/newton/bt-001.html

Well done, Jake! And just in time for troubleshooting and pre-production
orders ;=} before Blunt 2 will blow our minds away (it will be
permanently-on and allow mutltiple devices)! Eckhart seems to make
steady
progress (see http://www.40hz.org/mottek ), so this will be one heck of
tag team! (Next: Dear developers, pls. BTify more of your apps... ;=} )

> Before we get too excited, its just a prototype,

Some [Q]'s for you:
-- Did you put Class 1 or Class 2 BT in there?
-- What range do you get out of it? -- Where do you place the antenna?
-- What power consumption does BT-001 have in operation/in idle mode?
-- Does it have a green blinky light? ;=}
-- Could this baby also be tied into an eMate? (THAT would rock so
hard...!
The single PC Card slot left for storage, and BT for connecting to
desktops,
BT-GPS,... finally a modern config for the eMate that allows using *and*
connecting it at the same time w/o cables!).

> and I probably won't ever mass produce them, but it works, and I'm
> pretty
happy.

Me, too! Much joy, man!

Hmh, if you won't handle producing a run or two of these beauties,
would you
perhaps consider licensing the design or even putting it out under
creative
Commons License (= free to use for DIYers, some rights incl. commercial
exploitation reserved)? Or even do a run of the boards and sell them
with
all parts as DIY-kit-inna-bag?

> Some software issues to work out yet, and maybe one or two more
> revisions
> in hardware... but overall the proof of concept works...

Great!

Maybe you'll contact Eckhart and Adriano, who have both twiddled with
tieing BT to Newton's serial with different approaches. Also don't
forget that Mr. PCBMan is very knowledgable about Newton serial, maybe
if you four guys car-pool your brains, you'll really get internal BT
going!

> I am able to chat between PT-100 and a Terminal app over Bluetooth.

Hmh, how about VNC? Slow now, but with Blunt 2 it should be more
usable, and
with your card you could probably use the serial version of VNC built
for MP
1x0/NOS 2.0. Have you tried that?

> So it works with Blunt? That's pretty cool, but more info on how
> you have the connection setup software wise would be nice...

Marty, might be Eckhart already provides for this in Blunt (see also
*his*
internal BT-hack http://40hz.org/mottek-old/archives/2004_02.html )? I
guess
you just set Blunt's Bluetooth Device Setup to "Internal Module" or
"Serial
Port"(via Extras/Setup/Bluetooth Setup/i/Prefs/Device Location), but
then
what do I know?

Boy, I really can't wait for Blunt 2 to come out -- permanently-on BT
stack, multiple devices, increased speed to the max. of Newtons serial
capacity... What more cold you ask for! (Besides an internal BT/USB
board, of course... ;=} )

Impressedly yours,

D. Vollkasko