Re: [NTLK] Trademark/Tradename

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 09:38:12 PDT

John Hay wrote:
> I tried searching on wikiwikinewt for "Trademark" to see if there was an
> information pertaning to the Newton Trademark, who currently owns the
> rights, etc., but the search came up blank. Probably Apple still has the
> rights to the Newton Tradename/Trademark, but I don't actually know this
> for a fact.
>
> For example, if one wanted to do a production run of new Newtons, 2200's
> or whatever, who would they contact for licensing? Just curious. TIA, John

Some quick searching of the USPTO trademark database reveals that the
trademarks registered by Apple and Newton, Inc have been cancelled.

You can't link directly into the database but the relevant serial numbers are:

74660119 ("Newton" database / global computer network) cancelled
74223427 ("Newton" computer) cancelled
74596986 ("Newton" publication) cancelled
75337861 ("Newton, Inc" logo) cancelled
74459462 ("Newton" for "publications, namely printed user guides and
informational pamphlets.") Interestingly, this one is still live, maybe they
forgot to cancel it?
74380142 ("Messagepad") active

http://www.uspto.gov/

OTOH, they still own all rights to the Newton OS.

The newton.com domain name expires on October 28th...