[NTLK] KeySpan USB Dongles for use with Newtons

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 14:31:04 PDT

Koby,

Just to summarize and for anyone else, you have a KeySpan USA-28x Dongle
like this:
<http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/KeySpans.jpg>

So you need a Newton cable like this:
<http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/CableMac.jpg>
....which I believe is called an RS-422 mini-DIN8 to an RS-422 mini-DIN8
cable.

These cables are readily available on the Internet, etc.

Remember you need to follow exactly the KeySpan driver installation
instructions and install the proper driver, both available at the
KeySpan web site here:

<http://keyspan.com/products/homepage-Serial.spml>
Choose your dongle, get the driver, and install it on your computer.

THEN . . . . . . . . .
Then hook up all the cables.
Then on your computer LAUNCH a Newton Connection Utility such as the NCU
(Newton Connection Utility if you are running Classic) or "NewTen" if
you are running OSX.
Then on your Newton, click on DOCK, then select "Serial" then click on
"connect" on your Newton.
Your Newton should now connect to your computer and from your computer
you can now do stuff like install Newton "packages" which are Newton
Programs or Applications, whatever you want to call them.
Then Quit out of the connection utility on your computer, unplug your
Newton from the cable.
Now on your Newton go to "Extras" and look for whatever "package" you
just installed on your Newton and click on it to launch it on your Newton.

John

9/26/05 Koby Crooks issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?