Re: [NTLK] Motorola Maro Wireless PDA (Apple Newton OS)

From: Gopi D Flaherty (gf2e_at_andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 16:01:53 PDT

I never saw one in person, but I do remember seeing the brochures and
really wanting one. I was a student at the time.

The data network that it used was, I believe, ARDIS. The cost of data was
exceedingly high. I calculated that, based on my personal e-mail volume -
which was rather low - it would cost me something like $150/month if I
recall correctly. Definitely far more than I could afford as a student.

One thing I remember noticing is that the silk screened buttons were
clearly the same as on the normal MP120 - which was curved at the bottom.
The Marco was more rectangular. It was not, AFAIK, upgreadable to OS 2.0
unfortunately. I've seen it described as an MP120 in an enclosure with
"extra stuff," but I think that it may be more accurate to describe it as
an MP110, since the MP120 motherboard had a socketed ROM. Based on the
silk screen not changing at all, I suspect that the innards are the same
as whatever MessagePad it is based on.

Google yields:
http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/gallery/marco.htm