Re: [NTLK] Re(2): Motorola Marco Wireless PDA (Apple Newton OS)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 27 2005 - 12:13:47 PDT

Now *that's* interesting!
They probably will not support the Newton for one
really important reason.
The only application written for the newt was written
by contract for WyndMail by a third party developer.
Because WyndMail billed by a certain data useage
metric, the software was designed to move data using
this specific metric. Motient probably bills using a
different metric that the software cannot emmulate, so
there is no accurate method of them getting an idea of
how to bill you...at least this was what was told to
me back when. So, it's not so much a technical
limitation, as it is a financial limitation!
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Gopi D Flaherty <gf2e_at_andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
<snip>
> I just got off the phone with motient. Apparently,
> the ARDIS network is
> still operational! It's been cut back a bit
> recently, but it's still
> there.
>
> http://www.motient.com/index.php
>
> The lady I spoke with wanted to know some sort of
> device ID to figure out
> if the network would support a Marco or not; I don't
> have one, so I
> couldn't give that. They have two different plans,
> $19.95 and $49.95; you
> pay $0.20 or $0.10 per kilobyte in overage. I
> couldn't get a definite
> number on how much data was included standard - she
> mentioned numbers in
> "pages." They normally sell service to Blackberry
> users, she said. I also
> believe they have service for credit card terminals.
>
> That does seem rather pricey, unfortunately.
>
> Here's an old price list:
> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3649/is_199512/ai_n8722376

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

http://mail.yahoo.com