Re: [NTLK] Newton book part specification

From: Eric W. Brown <feneric_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 16:57:31 EDT

> On disk, the book part would just be a Newton Streamed Object
> Format (NSOF)
> blob...
>
> NSOF is documented in Chapter 4 of the Newton Formats doc.

True enough, but there is a little more to it. Chapter 4 doesn't go
into details on how integer fields are interpreted as styles, or how
renderings work, or even what the different individual slots are used
to represent.

"Newton Formats" even misses a few things within the package
directory (like the modification date and the use of Hollerith
constants -- the former I suspect was introduced after the
publication of version 1.1 of "Newton Formats", and the latter was
probably seen as something that belonged within application-specific
documentation rather than the main formats doc).

Don't get me wrong; I think "Newton Formats" is the single most
important reference to the topic and a great document overall, but
it's not a 100% complete treatment of Newton formats in general or
(especially) Newton books specifically.

I have some fairly detailed notes that I've collected over the years
that augment "Newton Formats" pretty well with regard to Newton
books. I should try and clean them up a little and publish them on
Newton's Library someplace.