[NTLK] New member, new user

From: <maynard_at_jmg.com>
Date: Tue Aug 01 2006 - 10:55:14 EDT

  Hello,

  I just bought a Newton 2100 from ebay. Has the message pad, a battery
sled, a dongle, a keyboard, a 8MB and a 4MB flash card, and a leather
case. Also bought a Wavelan Bronze card separately. Probably paid too much
for the package, but if it does what I need I won't care. Which is why I'm
here... could someone give me a bit of advice in meeting these simple
requirements?

  - D/L and display pdfs. *BIG* plus if it will allow me to highlight and
annotate as well.

  - A Word viewer / editor would be very helpful, as would a powerpoint
viewer (yeah, I know this is unlikely)

  - Anyone know of an RPN calculator app w/ graphing?

  - print to postscript printers using lpr: we have .ps printers here.

   I also want it as an ebook reader, but I know it already has software
for that. I really just need a device to take notes and manipulate text
that has long battery life, is small enough to fit in my shoulder bag and
light enough to carry everywhere without getting back cramps. My 15"
powerbook is just too damn heavy.

  Of course, I will need to bootstrap the newton too. I already have a
USB->db9 adapter. So I'll need a din8->db9 adapter. If I have to I'll
solder a cable myself. After the initial bootstrap I hope to go 802.11b
from that point on. BTW: can I sync with my powerbook (OS X 10.4.x) over
802.11?

Thanks for any advice and help,
--M