Re: [NTLK] inetnet connectivity

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 13:25:14 EDT

So many questions, I'll start with a couple of the easy ones.

Although I have not used that particular nic card, I do have one that works
and gets on the net via my network and Comcast. I have not had good luck
with DHCP, getting errors like "DHCP cannot configure this card". So I use
the manual configuration and put in a static IP. Also be sure to put in the
address of gateway/router and a working DNS.

The same goes for wifi. I could not get my Turbo Bronze card to work with
either my Newton or my laptop with either of the two wireless routers I
frequent. I have heard that these cards only work with Airport routers but I
don't know the truth of that, only that it would not work for me. So I
picked up a Linksys card, set it for automatic and DHCP works fine with it.
I use Hiroshi's driver and was fortunate to be one of the last to get it
registered before he closed registration. You can still get the driver and
it works without registration except it doesn't support WEP without being
registered.

Newtscape needs to be registered because it is shareware. It is WELL worth
the price but there are other browsers available such as Nethopper or
Courier.

As to getting software into your Newton, there are a number of solutions for
the serial connection. The most common is NCU (Newton Connection Utilities).
It is available for both PC and Mac. If needed I c an help you get the PC
version running on the newer Windows platforms and there are many Mac guru's
around here if you are using a Mac.

I hope this gets you started and keep us informed of your progress or needs.

Matt "Ducky" Howe
matthowe@comcast.net
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mhowe41/

maynard@jmg.com wrote
<snip>
I think I'm just plain confused about *how*
this is supposed to work. How do I verify that eith the nic card or the
wavelan card initiated a dhcp request? Where do I check my ip address? And
why is newtscape demanding that I register? It's the only tool I have to
grab new software with once I get on the net.
<snip>