Re: [NTLK] inetnet connectivity

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Aug 06 2006 - 13:18:35 EDT

On Aug 4, 2006, at 8:03 PM, maynard@jmg.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my Newt 2100 just arrived. I've been trying to get it connected
> to my
> laptop for syncing, as well as to my linksys wireless / 10baset
> router.
> It's been a failure all around. Here's what I've got:
>
> 1) a 4mb card with the inet connectivity kit, the faralon 398
> drivers, the
> lucent wavelan drivers, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I would start out by moving, extensions, setup items, etc from the
card to the internal store. If any older items are on the internal
store they will interfere with newer ones functioning on the card.
And some may need to be on the internal store.

The card should be recognized when you insert it at this point. The
wired card should be able to connect to NCU running in classic or OS
9 via hub or switcher without further setup other than selecting
Appletalk on card icon when first inserted.

The Linksys wired router does just fine with my 589ET card and Newt,
I have no experience with the wireless. I use an airport base
station bridged to the router.

> 2) a 3c598D card (should work); a Lucent Wavelan Bronze card (should
> work)

Wavelan Bronze Turbo should be OK, Wavelan Bronze is not.

> 3) a newt serial dongle, a cable (both null modem and straight
> through), a
> usb->serial converter for my laptop (should work)

Mac needs to be running a connection application such as NCU in
Classic or NewTen or Escale in OS X and converter needs appropriate
drivers installed.

> I get on the net.
>
> *sigh*
>
> There has to be a way to get this thing online.

See Franks excellent instructions for internet setup
<http://www.pda-soft.de/body_ethernetconnectivity.html>

> Suggestions?
>
> --M

Good luck