Re: [NTLK] Paying for Dashboard

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 22:44:52 EDT

On Aug 9, 2006, at 3:22 PM, Stephen Chan wrote:

> I think i'm definitely going to get Dashboard. It looks very
> impressive. also, the fact that it is a dead platform is all the
> more reason to pay for it. exceptional applications are very few and
> far between on dead platforms and paying for it would encourage more
> to get involved in the game.
>
> I'm just trying to offer a pragmatic view on whether you should buy
> it or not ;P
>
> on a different note, I'm receiving delivery of my first Newton
> tomorrow. an MP2100. i also got a 2GB CF card with PCMCIA adapter and
> a Wavelan GOLD! I can't wait to experience myself what i've been
> hearing is a vastly superior device to almost everything on the
> market!

Prepare to be disappointed.

1) You realize you need software to make the CF card work? Try
googling for Newton ATA driver.
2) The Newton doesn't sync well with any current platform and or system.
3) The Newton's internet connection is kind of a joke, when compared
to modern PDA setups.

That said, there are many reason's the Newton is so respected and
was so far ahead of it's time. It's a brilliant little machine with
crazy expandability that allowed for adding technologies that weren't
around yet when it was designed.

Have fun, but don't expect too much either...

Marty