Re: [NTLK] Just thought I would let folks know...

From: <maynard_at_jmg.com>
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 19:49:43 EDT

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Steven Combs wrote:

> Yep...see those issues now and just posted a question about. Sheesh.
>
> On 8/9/06, Paul Curtis <MicroSSG@comcast.net> wrote:
> > You're still going to have to deal with the serial connection, God bless
> > you.

   I recently went through that nightmare with my "new" newton. Here's
what I discovered:

   Running MacOS X 10.4.x.

   Escale doesn't work over serial. I tried *everything*. Different bps
settings, straight through and cross null modem cables, you name it.

   NCU under classic did not work. Period.

   NewTen didn't work. Period.

   However: booting OS 9.x and running NCU *DID* work. And, of course,
once I got network packages and drivers over to the newton, all was
solved. However, I still can't reliably install packages through escale,
so I mostly just use a web browser to directly install stuff from unna.

   Keep at it. And use a null modem cable not a straight through. Also,
the newton defaults to 38.4 kpbs (that was very important to learn).

Good luck,
--M