Re: [NTLK] Geeky Internals Question

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 15:55:13 EDT

> Can anyone reveal to me the voltage of the 2x00 backlight?

It should be around 70...100 Volt. I've never had a look at this
voltage using an oscilloscope, but I'd expect it to be a square wave
voltage because back when the Newton was developed this was easier to
generate than a sinus voltage.

> And, can be lit up external to the Newt (without supportive
circuitry)?

No. For driving a backlight foil you need what is commonly referred to
as
an inverter. This is a small box that generates the required output
voltage
from a DC input voltage like that from a battery. Theoretically, it
would be
no big deal to unplug the Newton's backlight and connect it to an
external
inverter that is powered from an external battery, but you should be
aware
that a) a 100 volt voltage can hurt if you accidently touch it and
b) inverters do not really like it to work without a load being
connected
to them.

Frank