Re: [NTLK] Tolkien Newton Books

From: Jim Felder <felder_at_knology.net>
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 14:19:41 EDT

Copyrights for printed matter have been around a lot longer than the
stuff covered by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. If you look
inside the front of a book, it's going to say that no copy of any
kind can be made without express permission from the publisher or
rights-holder for ANY reason other than editorial review (where
you're including a passage in an article about the book). There is no
provision in the publishing world, as there is in the music world,
for you to make a digital copy for yourself if you have already paid
the creator for a non-digital copy.

Legal? No. Ethical? Probably, if you don't try to distribute it.

Jim