Re: [NTLK] Terry Pratchett Newton Books

From: Robert Masters <rdm_at_enfield.lympago.com>
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 18:24:07 EDT

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 07:32:15AM -0700, Christopher Lee wrote:
> I tend to agree with you here to some extent, Martin; however, as a
> community, it behooves us to be as aboveboard and legally responsible as
> possible. It is most likely not in the best interests of the Newton
> community to ask for (or provide) Newtonbooks or text files of
> copyrighted material...tends to be like blood in the water to lawyers.

Okay ... I see I have some work to do here.

Fair use doctrine in the US does not explicitly permit media shifting.
Indeed, there is a substantial amount of case law prohibiting it. It
does permit the copying of small portions of a work for the purpose of
review or research.

And copyright is not too overblown. If you get caught, it will likely
bankrupt you. If you involve others, it will bankrupt you for the rest
of your life. And maybe them as well.

OTOH, Pterry is pretty approachable, and if you make the request in a
reasonable way, he may agree - although he may have a pre-existing ebook
contract with his publisher that prevents him, in which case he may ask
you to contact them.

-Rob

--
Rob Masters.
Sysadmin, gamer, birder, SF fan, climber, geocacher. Just your all-round geek.