Re: [NTLK] thinking of getting a Newt...which one

From: Joseph S. Solin <jsolin_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 17:46:05 EDT

Ryan,

Don't be too quick to dismiss the eMate. If I were going back to College, I would bring an eMate w/ internal memory upgrade.

Here is why:

1) Instant on
2) Very very very long battery life
3) Built-in keyboard for fast data entry
4) Easy to carry with a built in handle
5) Backlit for dark lecture classes
6) Inexpensive when compared to a full-fledge laptop computer
7) Built in PCMCIA slot to store and/or backup data
8) No virus or spyware risk
9) Exceptional for notes/papers (Newton Works), calendar, todos, address book, typing tutor, ebook and very simple email. So so for QuickFigure Pro (excel like calculations) with limited functionality.
10) Network/shared printer access through LPR driver
11) Send/receive a fax in a pinch
12) Still looks cool

I would strongly suggest not loading tons of applications or drivers on any Newton, unless you are willing to compromise stability. In a school environment I would keep it simple.

As for the handwriting recognition in a 2000/2100, it isn't practical for massive class related note taking. Trust me, I have tried.

- Joe Solin