Re: [NTLK] CD ROM

From: James Nichols <smilr_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Aug 22 2006 - 05:52:39 EDT

I don't believe anyone has directly connected a disk drive such as an
optical media drive or conventional hard drive to a newton. All of
the newton's connections are serial / irda, no USB, no Firewire, no
Scsi. The closest we've come is to use CF/Microdrives via the ATA
Support package.

One would need to find a way to interface the newton with the
external drive - almost assuredly this would have to be a pcmcia card
of some sort, and I don' know of any that would fit the bill. One
would then need drivers for the card, so that the newton, drivers for
controlling the attached drive, and drivers for parsing /
manipulating whatever filesystem is on the attached drive / standard
cd-rom formats.

Too many things we don't have.