Re: [NTLK] Connecting HP CapShare 920 Scanner to Newton 2100

From: <maynard_at_jmg.com>
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 14:35:02 EDT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Frank Gruendel wrote:

> a Newton-2100-using friend of mine is contemplating buying a
> HP CapShare 920 for his 2100, but is unsure about whether this
> would work reliably. He does not have access to a desktop computer
> normally, hence the scanner would be of almost no use unless it
> works reliably with the Newton. Considering that these beasts are sold
> at an amazingly high price even today, I'm trying to find out if this
> purchase will make him happy or unhappy.

   Interesting. I'm looking at the Brother DCP-8065DN scanner /
laserprinter / photocopier as a solution to this problem. I recently
bought a used 2100 and want a way to reliably move OCR scanned PDFs (or
PDFs output to plain text), as well as scan in books. Ultimately, I'd like
to stop printing reams of material out in order to read and annotate, only
to type my notes and quotations back in when writing essays. Going
completely digital with thousands of pages per semester to search, looks
like a major time saver over the manually editing printed material.

   I'd even be willing to buy a Windows tablet / slab computer to do this
- *if* it worked (which they don't). For now, this ten year old newton is
the only tool I've found which allows me to both read and annotate easily.

   Can't speak to the scanner you want to buy, but I can say I want to do
the same thing. --M