Re: [NTLK] USB Serial Adapter: Which?

From: Don Zahniser <irntooth_at_eznet.net>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 07:03:13 EDT

On Aug 31, 2006, at 5:26 AM, Kate Case wrote:

> I am needing to buy a USB Serial adapter for use with my 2100 and
> iMac and am wondering if it matters what brand to use. I have seen
> on this list many references to the Keyspan one, but will a cheaper
> one work instead? Ebay have heaps for only a couple of bucks
> compared to A$65 for the keyspan.

Hi, Kate -

I am using this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-4-USB-2-0-DOCK-DK201-Hi-Speed-USB-4-Port-
NR_W0QQitemZ320020827326QQihZ011QQcategoryZ67267QQcmdZViewItem

http://tinyurl.com/jsv6n

Note that this auction expires today (Aug 31), and that it is for a lot
of 4. I actually bought mine from the retail store run by this
reseller. Last time I checked, they still had some at $9.99 each. You
might be able to find them elsewhere by searching more extensively that
I just did. They are also available from:

http://www.arndt-electronics.com/products/527822.php

(note the minimum order quantity)

This is actually a USB 2.0 hub/port replicator. The drivers are
available from Prolific at:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

I am using mine as both a USB hub and as a serial port in Mac OS 10.3.9
and under Classic. I use NewTen and NCU most commonly, with few
problems. Most notably, I sometimes have trouble getting the Newton
and NewTen to 'shake hands', but that is always rectified on a re-try.

I have also tried using a couple of PS/2 keyboards with mine, with
mostly good success. My only issue is that if I linger too long on a
key, it gives me a double-keystroke. It seems to be keyboard
independent.

  - Don

--
Don V. Zahniser
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 1.25GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.3.9