Re: [NTLK] hopefully not too [OT] for some...

From: J. M. Roegner <jmroegner_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Dec 02 2006 - 00:27:08 EST

To the list:

The humor displayed is all too puerile.

I'm a lurker - I've been on the list for a decade and have had Newtons for
longer. In truth, this list long ago lost any real utility and I remained a
member largely out of nostalgia. I own half a dozen Newtons and still use an
N2K. That unit is one of the first, shipped in 1997, upgraded by Apple
complete with the lemony smell, and cherished.

Recently, I've noticed a move towards orthodoxy which is at odds with the
purpose of this list. A long-term member is castigated for advocating his
religious faith. Another violates the orthodox precepts closer to home: he
dared to suggest that a handheld (the Psion) had features more desirable
than the Newton. He was chastised.

Over the years I've seen many off-topic conversations. I can't say I've seen
any others with the disrespect shown to Sunny Hung. Apparently, it is
acceptable to ridicule and denigrate religion, but not acceptable to defend
it or profess one's faith. For shame to you who no doubt consider yourselves
on the frontlines of tolerance. What are you afraid of? Many subjects have
had nothing to do with the Newton. You hide behind the notion that this is a
PDA forum, but tolerate no deviation from your orthodoxy and have no sense
of community. You should be ashamed at your own parochialism but I doubt you
are.

For me, this list has ended its usefulness. This is no longer a community
but a list where free software and conformist opinions are the only viable
topics. Certainly no one will miss me, as I am a lurker and I think my last
post was three or four years ago. Consider my departure as you will. But
don't expect me to take notice of replies to this message. My next e-mail
after this one will be to unsubscribe from this list. Oh, and don't bother
to send me e-mails trying to buy my Newtons. They're not for sale, and even
if they were, they certainly wouldn't be to the likes of you.