Re: [NTLK] Changing language on newton?

From: Oliver Brose <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 10:11:18 EST

>Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:13:45 -0500
>From: Victor Rehorst <victor@newtontalk.net>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Changing language on newton?

>Joshua Snape wrote:
>> I was wondering if it was possible to change the language onanewton (i
>> want to buy a newton from Germany and it is in german) any help
>> apprecated; i am a newbe.

>You can't just switch it in software: if it's German, then the entire OS is
>german and only german. MP120s have pluggable ROMs so you could (if you got
>an english ROM) swap that around. Other models, no.

Right, if an English unit is what you desire, try and get one straight away.
The lack of multilingualism is one of my very few gripes with the
Newton. I once wasted a full semester in the futile attempt of
teaching a German Newt's HWR a workable amount of English. It's
pointless and only slows things down. The best way around it is to
kiss cursive recognition goodbye and just print, plus to install a
virtual keyboard of your choice (German here). This means not using
the Newt to its full potential, but it works if you are facing a lot
of mixed input.

Oliver

PS: Yes, I'm still there ;)