Re: [NTLK] Considering Newton as eBook Reader

From: Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 06 2006 - 01:31:13 EST

On Dec 5, 2006, at 08.54, Woody Smith wrote:

> The Newton 2100 can do what you propose, it can convert an HTML
> document into a Newton book via NewtsCape and ethernet.

Yeah, I read that on UNNA's FAQ I think.

> NewtsCape can format the book to be read on newtons other than the
> one that created it so you could use the 100 series as the reader.

Ahh, then in that case I think I'll stick with just a 2100. My idea
of getting a 100 series was to try and go as cheap as possible.

> Though it is possible to do more, try to keep the document size
> down to 100 to
> 125 pages for the sake of speed. Large documents and images can be
> quite perplexing to the Newton so practice with smaller documents.

Well, this is only for things like ten page journal entries from my
school's database. I'm finding it really annoying to have to read
them on my computer.

> For plain text or word processing documents use Newton Press
>
> NewtsCape is capable of connecting to the web directly or to your
> Mac (using personal web sharing), via ethernet.

Yeah, that was the plan. But I'd rather have a local copy on the
Newton so I'm not tied down (which is mostly the reason I'm
considering this project)

> You will need to get the Newton ethernet ready.

That's my biggest problem. No serial ports. I'd rather not have to
buy a USB-Serial adapter if I can avoid it.